Hiller SL3

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Hiller SL3

Postby craig4073 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:45 am

Howdy,

I am looking for information on the SL-3. I don't know much about it other than it was heck of a performer, tricky to start warm, and main rotor blades are nonexistant as well as the tooling. Any performance data, pictures, anything, would be greatly appreciated. An operator I worked for owned an SL-3 and an SL-4 long before I was there. I heard several stories by a couple of the fellas who flew them and I would like to learn more. Thank you.

Craig Stebbins
(just registered)
craig4073

Re: Hiller SL3

Postby Tim Tyler » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:05 pm

I currently own and am restoring a former 4SL which was converted to an E4L. It still has the original hydraulic lines below the engine deck. It really is a nice looking ship and I hope to have it flying by Christmas. I just finished painting the fuselage and will begin installing all new avionics soon. I will try to post some pictures in the next couple of weeks. One unusual item about the E4SL is the placement of the battery box. On the E4SL it was midway between the tail boom front bulkhead and the TRGB. (Almost directly below the cardin joint.) The straight E4s had the battery at the very aft end of the tail boom.

I just obtained a set of overhauled stainless main rotor blades and this was the last major hurdle to completion of the restoration.

I am very curious as to what other replys you receive about the E4SL.

Tim Tyler
Tim Tyler

Postby Pandaz3 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:52 am

Back in the early seventies, I flew a SL3 briefly, we had two SL4's also. The "Parsons" blades were hard to come by and if I recall beyond them, the SAS was the other concern. Nice flying helicopter, We just didn't fly it much due to the Blade supply. They took the SL3's blades and put them on one of the SL4's that had had a blade strike and it was on contract so it was necessary to get the SL4 back in the air. I left for South America..... don't know how it turned out.
ATP, CFI
Pandaz3

Postby adam32 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Tim Tyler wrote:I currently own and am restoring a former 4SL which was converted to an E4L. It still has the original hydraulic lines below the engine deck. It really is a nice looking ship and I hope to have it flying by Christmas. I just finished painting the fuselage and will begin installing all new avionics soon. I will try to post some pictures in the next couple of weeks. One unusual item about the E4SL is the placement of the battery box. On the E4SL it was midway between the tail boom front bulkhead and the TRGB. (Almost directly below the cardin joint.) The straight E4s had the battery at the very aft end of the tail boom.

I just obtained a set of overhauled stainless main rotor blades and this was the last major hurdle to completion of the restoration.

I am very curious as to what other replys you receive about the E4SL.

Tim Tyler

Did you get it up and running? Pics??
adam32

Return to Hiller Talk