Location of Data Plate

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Location of Data Plate

Postby Centurion » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Maybe you all can help me. I have a 1956 Hiller OH23C Raven retired military helicopter and I'm having difficulty locating the data plate. Does anybody know where the data plates were placed on military Hillers? There is a large plate on the seat that has the Hiller patent numbers and that it was manufactured by Hiller but it doesn''t have the typical data plate info on it. I want to get it in the standard certification category instead of experimental so I need some pointers. I contacted Hiller and they didn't seem interested in helping me with the replacement data plate. So any Ideas? All ideas will be studied carefully and all suggestions are welcome. I am interested in your experiences as well.

Thanks,
Dave, Hiller owner OH23C "Raven" Army serial number 56-2300
Centurion

Re: Location of Data Plate

Postby Hiller360 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm

The data plate is normally riveted to the left side of the instrument panel,look in that area and see if the rivet holes are there ,what do you have in the way of paperwork,airframe logs,hard cards ,bill of sale ,or a D O D release,without these a replacement data plate won't do you much good.
Dave
Hiller 360
Hiller360

Postby Centurion » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi Hiller 360,

I checked the console and found the rivet holes on the right side of the console, when sitting in the copter. I was able to get it registered with the FAA because I had a bill of sale from the museum who sold it to me and because a Maj. General from the US Army Materiel Command wrote a letter that confirmed the date the copter was retired from army service and that it was sold surplus to another entity. The general said the copter was retired in 1996 and that the records were destroyed in 1997. I'm not sure how he got that information if the records were destroyed, but that's his story and he's sticking to it.
I do know there were some electronic records of the copter's history as a trainer at Ft. Wolters in the 60's and 70's prior to moving to Ft Rucker Alabama. I just haven't been able to get anybody to spend the time to forward them to me. It's hard to deal with people who don't want to help save a veteran of the Vietnam era.
I used what info I had gathered to convince the FAA to register it, which they did. I have people who knows the ins and outs of working with the agency and they have been helpful in getting it registered. Boy what a hassle!
The copter is in decent shape and all I need now are the funds to get her restored. I have a couple of folks who will assist me there. If anybody knows where I can get a service history card for the Army choppers while they served I would certainly appreciate it. I have dealt with the Hiller folks and they're not very supportive in my restoration efforts. It seems they only want to sell new birds. Strange, I have plans to buy parts and such from them but they are not very cordial and seem really expensive! I'll use Pt at Ft. Wolters as he was very helpful to me in many ways. Good guy!
So onward and upward! I am glad this forum is here as it has been helpful at times to read about everyone's experiences with the Hiller. I hope we can generate more discussion on the birds and find ways to keep the Hillers flying. I found it interesting that some members here are exploring possibilities of manufacturing composite blades. I hope that comes to fruition.
Anyway, it's registered and I will follow whatever needs to be done to see about getting a replacement data plate. I guess flying experimental/exhibition won't be too bad,eh! Sure is a shame there are so many obstacles to getting these birds flying safely and there always seems to be someone who doesn't want to see you have fun chopping the air into submission. Any and all leads will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Centurion

Postby 116352 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:19 am

the data plate is on the LEFT side of my 23 ravens also under the insturment panel . i have a 12- B (1953) . i got mine from the Historical Aircraft Squadron here in Ohio. NO PAPER WORK ,just a bill of sale from the squadron . we called the FAA in to see what we could with the helo. our FAA guy,Bob, looked the number up and it was in the book and said we could build it in the standard catgory. i DO NOT want my helo in standard because of the 100/ 300 hout inspection. this can get very costly. i want to do my own work . as i tell people ,i trust my work its yours i worry about.
Hiller is the only company that has all the paper work to rebuild all the parts in the helicopter. they have it for everyone ,not just A&P /IA. thats why i like my Hiller.
the Army retired my helo about 2 years ago. i plan to rebuild it back to show condition and fly it to air shows. i did ask the FAA to let us use the Army call numbers on the tail , but the refused us at Oklahoma. we can repaint the call number on the tail ,but we have to use our own N number . i have reserved my number ,N455PT. my other helo is N455CT , it was wrecked and i am almost done rebuilding it . i enjoy rebuilding helicopters . Tom Snodgrass

Return to Hiller Talk