Turbine Hiller

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Turbine Hiller

Postby nhraracer90 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Hello again,
How are the turbine Hillers? Are they as reliable as the Lycoming or better? Maintenance is probably higher isnt it? Especially is something breaks. Do they have more power than the E model or are they derated to about the same? What are the pros and cons of a turbine setup opposed to the Lycoming? Thanks
nhraracer90

Re: Turbine Hiller

Postby CopterDr. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:45 pm

The Soloy Hiller is "the" helicopter. To date, in my opinion, there is not a helicopter built or that has been built that can compare, the only close contender is the Soloy Bell 47G. The UH12E/T is similar to the straight UH21E, except it does have a lower basic operating weight, as the turbine installation is about 200 lbs lighter than the Lycoming. The HP rating is the same, but the turbine does not have droop issues when considering picking up a load. RPM always stays where it should be, no matter what. This makes the Turbine much easier to fly than the recip variant, cost of operation is similar, though the turbine does cost more initially, overall cost of operation is probably close to the same.
CopterDr.

Postby nhraracer90 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info. Is the throttle governed so that it will stay in the same place? (I don't know much about turbines) What is the going price now for a Soloy Hiller with decent times left on most of the components? Thanks
nhraracer90

Postby adam32 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:27 pm

I would guess around $300k...I believe a new one is about $700k...but good luck finding one... :mrgreen:
adam32

Postby CopterDr. » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:15 pm

There is one for sale currently in Washington State, I believe a guy could pick it up for around 200k. Not a bad price at all considering. The throttle is rigged like any turbine helicopter, you have 3 positions, idle cutoff, start/ground idle, and flight idle, the rest is automatic as you add collective. As you get ready to lift off, you roll the throttle to flight idle, then fly, and you never move the throttle from flight idle postition until you land and go to ground idle for cool down, then to cut-off to shut down. simple as that. PM me or email me, and I can give you a contact to find out about the 12E/T for sale in WA.
CopterDr.

Return to Hiller Talk