Any Feedback on using Hillers for Flight School?

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Any Feedback on using Hillers for Flight School?

Postby Helopilot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 am

An existing fix wing flight school in my area wants to branch out and open a Helo section to the flight school. There has been a large demand for a helo school in this area. We have a chance to purchase a R-44 with good times on all components. They don't like the R-22 do to the size of the instructors and a few students. I am a fan of the Hiller for training, however a lack of mechanics in our area that know anything about Hillers is a draw back. We are researching a few ideas now an the mechanic situation.
I would like to get feedback on any Hiller owners that have run a flight school using either the Hiller or the R-44. Do you know cost per hour for either? Any drawbacks? Would you suggest the H300 or the Bell 47 instead? I would like as much info as possible before we make a decision.
Thanks....
Helopilot

Re: Any Feedback on using Hillers for Flight School?

Postby adam32 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 am

They can work for a flight school (my Hiller is even for sale), but depending on the purchase price/hours flown per year/insurance/maintenance a 300 might be better, but it might not. Maintenance will be the biggest thing, especially doing training, you never know when a student will overspeed it, not check something etc... A Hiller would probably be better then a 47 just due to the fact that they are cheaper to buy and more parts are out there for them.

An R44 is a nice ship, but not for primary training, they are just too expensive to fly.

Where are you located? My mechanic travels pretty much the whole western united states...
adam32

Postby Helopilot » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 am

If you would, send me info on your Hiller and I'll pass it on to the owner of the Company. Do you happen to know the opperating cost of the Hiller vs. the 300 vs the R-44?
Helopilot

Postby adam32 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:54 pm

PM inbound...
adam32

Return to Hiller Talk