A new member with a new Hiller purchase

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Re: A new member with a new Hiller purchase

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon May 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello Rick, Thanks for the advice.Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby ron andress » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 am

Hello Charlie, this is Ron from Pa. have not talked with you for a while but I enjoyed our phone conversation a while back. I wanted to get in touch with you as I may be venturing up north for a short vacation at some point and thought I might stop by and see your Hiller and get a chance to meet you in person. I just talked with the people at United today and I am planning on possibly going down in September to finish my rotorcraft ticket. I am eagerly awaiting the beginning of the build process for our own machine as we put a deposit on one at Sun N Fun but that is a few months away yet.
I met a guy from Pittsburgh area that bought the red one at United just a short time ago and also discovered there is another one a fellow owns within about 30 miles of my place so I contacted him and will be going to see him for some discussion about the Hillers.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new machine,,,,,fly often and be safe. Hope to talk with you soon.
Ron
ron andress

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Well, I was enjoying flying solo and had 5 hrs. The engine ran well and everything was going great. I always needed to wipe off some oil splatters on the rear deck and tail cone after a flight. I thought the fan pinion shaft seal leaked slightly and oil was being blown back. I sent a email to United asking if it was difficult to replace and they asked for a picture to determine which shaft I had and would let me know. The next day I flew for 45 minutes and needed to wipe the oil. I cleaned the wet area on the engine and asked my son to see where the oil was coming from as I ran it up for about 1 minute at 3100 rpm. He tapped me on the arm and said I found the leak. There is a hairline crack in the case at the base of #2 cylinder. It is hard to see, but it appears when the engine is hot it opens up slightly and oil weeps out in a few spots along the crack. The engine has 28 hrs. I sent an email that sunday to United stating the problem and received a email saying please don't fly it we will get it asap. It has been 1 month and they have not picked it up. So it sits in my hangar. I hope I don't get too rusty. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:07 am

That's bad news hopefully they will get you going again soon.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Hello Ricky, Thanks for the reply. The good news is yesterday they picked up my hiller and are on their way back to FL. After leaving FL at 2 am and stopping for a short night they arrived at 10 am and spent almost 3hrs loading and doing an excellent job of making sure everything was secure. They were very through in their work. United assured me they would turn it around and have it back with everything gone over after the engine work as soon as possible. I get the impression there are many changes going on at United and one is customer support which for me has always been great. More updates later. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:55 pm

Charlie that's great news. Sounds like they are doing all you can expect at this point.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:09 pm

My helicopter arrived at United last weekend and very early Monday morning a crew began working on the engine repair. I was updated with pictures as the work was being done. The engine was dissmantled and everything checked as a new case was installed. It is pretty much a major overhaul. The engine could be installed today and then some testing and it looks like I may have it delivered to me by the end of next week, which is very good news. They are going over the entire helicopter and taking care of some miner cronic hiller problems, one being the correct torque of the tail rotor nut. They have done a few things that they thought could have been a little better on the original rebuild and took care of two miner "squawks". Hopefully things will continue going well and I am looking forward to getting it home again. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:43 am

More great news, I flew 2.5 hrs today and 3 hrs yesterday that's quite a bit for me.

Thanks for the updates it's good to know how things are going.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

It has been 9 weeks since I informed United of the crack in the engine case. They have been working on my hiller completeing the engine rebuild and many other changes that they thought could have been better. I believe waiting for parts has added time to the turn around. They have test flown it and I thought I would be hearing from them yesterday as when they would be delivering it. It should be getting close. More info shortly. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:52 pm

Sort of troubling that they are fixing things that could have been done better when it's a fresh aircraft that they did. Wonder what parts they are waiting on? Maybe they will get it to you soon and more importantly it will run for a while. Nine Weeks waiting on it under these circumstances wouldn't sit well with me they installed the cracked case to begin with.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Ricky, I hope all is well with you. Some good news here, I should have my Hiller delivered on thursday if everything goes as planned. The company has made many changes in the last few months. The original owner has retired and some people have left. Many new experienced people have been hired and the company is working on providing a better hiller. They have quite a few new orders to fill and I believe these hillers will be built to a higher standard. They have gone over mine completely and have changed a few things that they thought could have been done better such as replacing rivets in the boom that were not bucked properly. I know they spent a lot of time on mine. If I'm getting back a better hiller I will be satisfied. Happy flying, I'll update soon. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi Charlie,

That info puts things in a different light hopefully you will be back in the air soon thanks for the update. Everything is perking right along here hopefully I'll have some exciting news soon.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby tamflyer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 am

Good to see recent activity on Forum

Invitation always open to please "drop in" to my Farm heliport ,6NJ2, if ever near Northern NJ.
Coffee pot always on and love to talk helicopters especially Hillers

Full info here:
https://skyvector.com/airport/6NJ2/Tama ... s-Heliport

Pic of my OH-23B/C is also in Owners Pilots Gallery section here.
Ship originally also came from United in Sarasota
tamflyer

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 pm

Just a quick update on my hiller. I have had it back for over two weeks and everything is working well. The warranty covered the engine repair. I asked United if they would sell me a set of skid shoes and they said they would. They turned it around as soon as they could. When it arrived it had a set of skid shoes installed and painted to match the skids. When I asked what I owed for them, Jeff Heck said there was no charge. I'm looking forward to do some solo flying. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 am

Charlie great news and also good to hear about the great customer service you received enjoy your flying.

I've been on the road since Sunday 8/24 and picked up a new helicopter (to me) in MT on Wednesday. I'm an older member with a New Helicopter I guess you could say. I flew it about 10 minutes then loaded it on my trailer and headed for Yellowstone for a few days of touring before heading East. It's a 2001 12E with only 229 hrs TT I'm looking forward to the extra power after flying my D model for 12 years. I'll need to have it annualed and have some radios added then I should be set. Ill be flying my D model till then.
Plumberpilot

PreviousNext

Return to Hiller Talk