A new member with a new Hiller purchase

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Re: A new member with a new Hiller purchase

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Ricky, It sounds like you are having fun with your new purchase and your trip to pick it up. Will you be using it for fun or do you use it in your work? What is the HP? Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Charlie the trip was great we toured Yellowstone for 2 days with the 12E in tow my trailer is easy to maneuver so I just kept it with me the whole time. I'd say we had the most photographed helicopter in the world for those two days. I amazed at how many Army Aviators come up to have a look and reminisce about their rotary histories it was great.

I'm going to use it in my helicopter business I've got some photography customers and I give rides too. I'm curious about the spray business simply because this bird has a simplex 4500 and agnav gps system installed and barely used I doubt I could break into that realm without some help though. I don't have it in service yet that will come sometime this fall in the mean time my D model is doing fine for my purposes.
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Ricky, Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your Hillers, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:45 pm

I flew my Hiller 2 hours last Sunday and everything ran well. Removed the oil filter just to see what was going on and everything was good there. Does anyone have a suggestion on the grease. I started using Aeroshell #7, which cost the most, so I thought it would be the best, however it seemed to break down into a liquid just setting in my hangar and stained my white paint. It can get warm in the summer in the hangar, maybe 85-90 degrees. I switched to Aeroshell #14 and that seems to be a little better, but still separating some. Any comments would be appreciated, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:40 pm

I have been flying my Hiller when I get a chance. Everything is working well. If anyone is interested in the way to tighten the tail rotor nut, I purchased a Fixed Hook Spanner Wrench from McMaster-Carr, 609-259-8900 or online, for $19.58 part # 6975A16. It works well, although you might have to remove a grease fitting. Happy flying to all, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Good to hear you're getting to fly some Charlie. I'm grounded till Summit gets my new bird going I sold and delivered my D model to its new owner a couple weeks ago and that left me rotor-wingless for a while. I have been flying the Mooney more though so it's been good. Keep flying every chance you get you can't gain experience sitting on the ground and experience will make it more enjoyable for you fly fly fly!!!
Plumberpilot

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 pm

BTW aeroshell 14 is what Ive always used.
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 pm

My Hiller is running well. I have been getting some solo time in. I'm planning on flying on nice days in the winter if the snow or mud is not too deep. My hangar is not heated, so on a cold day it can get down to 25 degrees inside. I definitely would not start it without preheating. I bought and installed a EZ Heat pad for the bottom of the oil sump and it works very well to warm the oil. I need to figure out a way to warm the engine with my kerosene heater, which I would not leave on unattended, perhaps wrapping a fire resistant tarp around it and aiming the heater underneath somehow, although I don't want to heat the fuel. Happy Thanksgiving, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I usually aim a heat lamp at the oil tank for a couple of hours before start up on the Hiller. A reputable engine builder told me to never use an engine block heater because it cooks the prestart lube out of the engine causing too much unnecessary wear on start up. That made sense to me because we were overhauling our IO360 in the Mooney 600hrs BEFORE TBO and the previous owner used to keep the block heater plugged in most of the time regardless of OAT. He suggested preheat immediately before start up and no block heater. Just his opinion though.

Still helicopter less at the moment maybe by Christmas I'll be pulling some pitch.
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for perspective. I hope you get your Hiller back soon.
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I have been flying the Hiller and it is running ok. Yesterday I flew it to Simsbury Airport, Simsbury, Ct to have Pete do an annual. Simsbury is 40 miles away and I was a little cold when I got there, although the heater was blowing out warm air. I was suprised to find out there is another Hiller based there, which makes two based there. Pete also has a Hiller that needs rebuilding and knows about them. I told him I was not in a hurry to get it back as it will be in a heated hangar. Today my wife begains a second series of chemo after a successful surgery. This will be 18 weeks and things are looking very good. This has been our priority for the last 9 months. Happy New Year to all. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby ron andress » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:50 am

anyone been in touch with united in florida. I would be interested in talking with you especially if you ordered a hiller at sun n fun last year. Give me a call. Ron. 570-336-7051
ron andress

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Just a follow up on my previous comment about getting my new helicopter flying. I got it back 2 weeks ago and have been enjoying the upgraded power, better main rotor system inertia and the new radios. I might have the lowest time E model in the world I'd be interested to know. Mine had 229 hrs TT as of the annual this year.

PS
Hope the chemo went well Charlie.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Ricky, Glad to hear you are enjoying your new hiller. Mine is still away waiting to have the annual done. I told him I was in no hurry, but I hope it will be done shorty. Actually in the last two months I can only think of 1 day that was good enough to fly. We have about two feet of snow on the ground and some drifts over that. The sun is getting warm and the snow will melt one of these days. The Chemo is going well and spirits are improving. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:37 pm

We've been getting lots of snow here too but I keep the pad clear and fly every day I can. I've been giving some folks "snow" flights lately it's nice to be able to lift 3 people and plenty of fuel for a nice long flight. Even though it's been cold I can still see warm weather won't hold this bird back its got plenty of power for my missions.
I had a request several months ago for a bucket list flight for a guy undergoing pancreatic cancer treatment but I was in the middle of buying my new E and selling my D so we postponed it. I called him yesterday and gave him the green light for whenever he feels up to it he wants to fulfill his wife's dream of taking a helicopter flight and I'm going to make it happen if at all possible. He's about midway through the post whipple chemo so he's READY for some fun. I'm going to fly them till they say uncle.

It's hard for us low time pilots to get back to flying after much of a layoff so my take on it is don't make any layoff very long if you can help it.
Plumberpilot

PreviousNext

Return to Hiller Talk