A new member with a new Hiller purchase

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Re: A new member with a new Hiller purchase

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Ricky, I know what you mean by the layoff time. I should get mine back next week. I have a large pad plowed off, although we are getting more snow tonight. That was nice of you to offer the folks a ride. I'm sure they will appreciate it. Keep warm, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Greetings, It has been awhile, time seems to fly by quickly these days. I had my annual completed and have been flying my Hiller solo. I recently became serious with getting my add on rating and always thought there was an examiner nearby that could give the rating, however I found out there is no one in the northeast. There wasn't any sense in continuing training in my Hiller, so I decided to get instruction at a local heliport that had a Schweizer. I have all the requirements for the add on rating and just need to get up to speed on emergency procedures. The bad news is the Schweizer is down with a transmission proplem and there is no word when it will be flying again. I'm very close to getting the rating, but I don't want to wait too long to continue. I'll try to figure something out with that problem. Getting back to the Hiller I was told that the intake and exhaust bolts would become loose over time and they did, one actually came out. Regards to all. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:54 pm

Just a follow up on my getting my add on helicopter rating. I decided to continue on at a helicopter school 50 miles from my home. It is a part 141 training program and was much more than I anticipated. It was very expensive and took me much longer than I thought, of course I had to learn a new helicopter a Schweizer 300CBI. It took me about 2 months to complete the course and I finally did pass my check ride on Oct 22. It would have been alot easier at my local heliport. That Schweizer still is not repaired. During the 2 months, I only flew my Hiller about 2 hrs as I did not want to get the aircraft confused as they are very different. My Hiller is running well and I'm looking forward to giving a few promised rides. Our health issues are stable at this time and I did take my wife for a hover. I noticed that Aeroshell 15W-50 states on the container, not to be used in helicopters that use the same oil for engine and trans. It would be nice to use it here in the northeast. Regards to all, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:23 am

Congratulations on the rating. A man has to do what a man has to do to fly, everything aviation related always costs more than the original plan. I got a free helicopter one time and $80,000.00 later I flew it...a little more than I planned but worth every cent because I wanted to fly.
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks Ricky. I hope all is well with you.
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Everything here is going right along. This summer I bought 3 12Es and 2 12Ds in various conditions none quite flyable but they will probably be used for spare parts. My 12E is performing beautifully and I really enjoy owning it I finally have a helicopter that will carry 2 passengers and myself with ease.
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Anyone have any comments on the latest AD on the blade forks?
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Greetins All, It's a cold day here in Connecticut, 25 degrees and windy, not a flying day. Maybe our first snow this weekend. Ricky, I noticed in one of your adds you have quite a collection in your hangar, nice to look at. My Hiller is running well and I try to fly it often. I went to Aeroshell 80w for the winter, but I still preheat it well before starting. I understand United Helicopters is in a transition mode at the present time. Joanna, their flight instructor, who has over 6,000 hrs in hillers, not to mention a good instructor and a very nice person has her Hiller for sale. Someone will be getting a good helicopter as she was very particular and took good care of it. Things have been stable for our medical problems for almost a year, but Chris is starting chemo again. Happy flying to everyone. Charlie.
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Greetings from Connecticut. Yesterday we got about 10 inches of heavy wet snow, our first real snow storm of the winter. It's been a good winter up until now, it's 14 degrees at the moment. I had a real nice flight last Sunday, the weather was perfect and the Hiller ran well. Bob, my instructor and a Hiller owner was down to Sarasota in Jan and looked at a Hiller that he said was "beautiful". I don't know if it has been sold, but for someone that would like a classic helicopter, the Hillers are a good buy. Here is some good news, AirWolf Aerospace, ( we know of there remote oil filters) has an ad in Trade-A- Plane under Helicopter Parts, stating they are going to manufacture any part for the Hillers. This will be great for Hiller owners. Now I have to start plowing snow. Regards, Charlie.
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Looks like airwolf is at least testing the waters for PMA hiller parts. I sent them a wish list of needed parts throughout the industry. I've got 2 D models basically grounded due to a lack of parts. There is a market for these parts and it's going to get better for a manufacturer as time goes on and desperation increases for operators.
Plumberpilot

Postby nhraracer90 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Hello!
I know that it's getting hard to find anyone who can work on Hillers now a days. I saw where someone mentioned something about United Helicopters in Florida going through something. Are they staying in business and going good?
nhraracer90

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:18 pm

Regarding United Helicopter, You could give them a call, they will give you an honest answer as to what has transpired.
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:45 am

Talked to Rotorcraft,Inc in AR the other day. They told me they no longer work on Hiller MR or TR blades. Who else is there?
Maplewood Farm

Postby saxonm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:46 am

saxonm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Greetings from Connecticut. My Hiller is in the process of an annual. I just hung up from Bob Jenkins from tulsarotorblades, He does Hiller Blades, but the prices on his website are not up to date. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

PreviousNext

Return to Hiller Talk