A new member with a new Hiller purchase

General talk about the Hiller helicopter

Re: A new member with a new Hiller purchase

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:14 pm

My Hiller is still in the process of the annual. It has taken longer than I wanted. They needed to install two overhauled mags due to the fact a data plate was missing on one and although the log book stated they were overhauled when the engine was assembled there was no record stating an AD on them was done. They were working well. I hope to help with the annual this week to speed things up. I saw Doctor Bob Leve"s ad for his Hiller in Barn Stormers at a reduced price. It saddens me to see it for sale. He has a lot going on and has a Maule which he doesn't get to fly much. If I had the funds I would buy it. (never can have too many Hillers) I flew the Cub today. Hopefully the Hiller will be done this week. Happy Flying, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Does anybody know where I could purchase a timing tool for a 210 Franklin. It is either part number 18581 or 19438. It is used to turn the starter gear for mag timing. There is also a Timing mark pointer that goes onto it, it could be part number 19437. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Greetings, My annual has been completed and things went fairly well. I needed to purchase new mags due to the fact one did not have a data plate and the log book did not show that an AD was done when the were installed. When we took one of the mags off about a pint of engine oil ran out. I'm surprised the mag didn't become oil logged. Oil appeared to be seeping past the threads on the two cap screws that hold the flange that has the mating part with the mag. The screw had some RV on the threads, but it was not sealing. The other mag was completely dry. There is a I/8 pipe plug on the bottom of part and I inserted a Curtis drain valve for the time being and drain it during the preflight, but it is still leaking. Has anyone had this problem, any advice would be appreciated. I also had to replace my alternator. It is a one wire and I'm told I cannot put a warning light on the panel with this alternator. Otherwise it is flying well. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Plumberpilot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:29 am

Hey Charlie,

Any updates on your Hiller flying experiences?

Merry Christmas
Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 am

Hello Ricky, I haven't checked on the Hiller Forum lately. I hope you had a good holiday season. We got our first real snow yesterday and the flying weather has been good, just windy at times. I have been flying the Hiller often and everything is working well. I did replace a tail rotor blade bearings due to some play. The seal was not the correct one and the bearing was probably ok. Pat at Fort Wolters is a great help and has the parts. The rumor you mentioned is interesting. I'm not sure what Airwolf has come up with. Chris has been on a new chemo and is doing ok. I see you have quite a hiller collection, you never can have enough Hillers. Best wishes, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby nhraracer90 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:29 am

Maplewood Farm wrote:Hello Ricky, I haven't checked on the Hiller Forum lately. I hope you had a good holiday season. We got our first real snow yesterday and the flying weather has been good, just windy at times. I have been flying the Hiller often and everything is working well. I did replace a tail rotor blade bearings due to some play. The seal was not the correct one and the bearing was probably ok. Pat at Fort Wolters is a great help and has the parts. The rumor you mentioned is interesting. I'm not sure what Airwolf has come up with. Chris has been on a new chemo and is doing ok. I see you have quite a hiller collection, you never can have enough Hillers. Best wishes, Charlie

Hello! Who does all the maintenance work to your Hiller?
nhraracer90

Postby Maplewood Farm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 am

I do, but I have the annual done at AirOcean Aviation Yalesville, Ct
Maplewood Farm

Postby nhraracer90 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 am

Very nice. Is it difficult to do the work to your Hiller?
nhraracer90

Postby Maplewood Farm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 pm

It is not difficult to work on the Hiller. If you have some mechanical background and understanding how it works you can stay within the FAA regs that allow you as the owner to do the work. I don't have an A&P, but I have rebuilt several aircraft and worked on engines on the farm. Keeping it greased and changing the oil and checking the security of moving parts is something you can do. I have been working with Pat Pockus at Fort Wolters who is very helpful and has parts if needed. He is selling a hiller that appears to be nice at a fair price. To change the subject, in the rumor dept. I heard they are going to build Hillers in China and they have ordered lyc engines to power them, we will see. Does anybody know if Airwolf is making any parts. Regards to all, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby nhraracer90 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:36 am

What are the limits as to what you as the aircraft owner can do to your helicopter? I know you should probably stay away from overhauls and such but can you do them as the aircraft owner? It would be nice to see new Hillers again, preferably not from China but better than nothing.
nhraracer90

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:03 am

FAR Part 43 list the items you can and cannot do on your own aircraft. There are about 31 items. Regards.
Maplewood Farm

Postby nhraracer90 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:02 am

Thank you for the info! Safe flying!
nhraracer90

Postby Maplewood Farm » Mon May 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Greetings, I have been flying my Hiller often and it is running well. My oil temp runs hot on a hot day. I flew last week when the outside temp was 90 degs with a 210 lb passenger and the oil temp was steady approaching the redline (210hp). Does anyone have a suggestion. I believe another oil cooler could be added, if so how is it connected. Airwolf has the remote oil filter for somewhere around $1000 and they say it lowers the temp, any comments would be appreciated. A shout out to Ricky. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm

I can't help to think there are some pilots out there that would like to have a helicopter, but might be concerned about support. There are a few Hillers for sale right now in the $75- 90 range and would be a good buy. As far as support my experience has been there is a lot available, Fort Wolters is one, anything I needed was available from them. For the price, I think the Hillers are affordable and fun to own. Regards, Charlie
Maplewood Farm

Postby Maplewood Farm » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:33 am

Has anyone installed the AIRWOLF remote oil filter on their Hiller. I was wondering if actually lowers the oil temp as advertised and is it worth the cost. Charlie
Maplewood Farm

PreviousNext

Return to Hiller Talk