Retention Straps

Everything about maintenance

Retention Straps

Postby ted.stokes » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:22 am

Anyone got any tips or tricks to changing a retention strap on a B/C wood blade. I have a stripped screw and the strap shows to be loose at the back which requires a removal and reglue of the strap according to the overhaul manual. Also, you drill the blade and glue new plugs in the screw holes.

Ted
N6417V
A&P IA
ted.stokes

Re: Retention Straps

Postby NRE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 am

I have recentley inspected a set of recondition wood blades for sale for a B model Hiller. The Blades have about 100 hours. Upon inspection of one of one of the retention straps, I noticed that there is a small separation in the paint/ retention strap , approximately 1/16" wide by 6 inches long along the back side of one of the straps. The leading edge of the strap shows no indication of movement. I know that the paint separation is indicating some movemen however all of the screws are tight and everything else looks fine. Should this be a concern, or is type of separation crack standard movement? If it is a problem,, what type of corrective suggestions are recommended?
NRE

Re: Retention Straps

Postby ted.stokes » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:41 am

When you loose the bonding on the retention straps, a service bulletin establishing a dye penetrant inspection of the drag brace lug on the strap. I have removed my blades and plan to take them to Tulsa Rotorblades next month for rootend overhaul. They will overhaul the blades from the start of the nickel abrasion strip back to the retention plates. The work includes replacement of both retention plates and the straps for each blade.

Ted
N6417V
A&P IA
ted.stokes

Return to Maintenance