oil every where

Everything about maintenance

oil every where

Postby richard » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:13 am

well oil was getting into clutch area (not good) so we separated the tramsmission from the engine (4 hrs ) and remembered teds post of putting air pressure to the engine and to the transmission and being a retired plumber the search was on .
secured a series of plastic caplugs fom aircraft spruce and plumers rubber balls for testing plumbing (needed 5 1 1/2 balls) 2 balls in intake manifold 2 in mufflers and one in oil fill and finally a one inch cap on breather pipe
finally i was on my way to realizing how many leaks i had. there must be 10 small and large leaks ((now that i have finished there was 22 leaks )also 1 and1/2 rubber cap worked better on oil fill tube)

tomorrow i will start to repair them hopefully
http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/murphymurph1176

richard
Last edited by richard on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
richard rotor head
richard

oil every where

Postby richard » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:49 am

the engine and transmission was separated and we first applied air pressure to the transmission. a large oil leak showed up on the oil seal on the bottom of af transmission ( we where able to change seal from the botton maybe 30 minutes time at the most) . retested with air pressure no leak test of transmision was good and tight -----

next we put air pressure on engine and the engine would not hold pressure

it turned out to be the forward cover over crankcast the cover was convex between the bolt.so i called franklin engine in texas 60 plus buck and we have the cover and silcone gasket. once we bolt that back on ,we will air test and see what else we find that air test sure is the way to go

richard
richard rotor head
richard

oil every where

Postby richard » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:11 am

well the new cover and silicone gasket was bolted in place no leaks with the air test
however now we could get a pressure reading on the air gage but the leaks continued the next large group of leaks was around the lifter tubes 8 of the twelve lifters leaked at the base of the tubes big time.

so called franklin engine and got new silicone o rings they also rent a tool to facilitate the changing of the the tubes so when those parts come in we will check for tigtness and see if there r more leaks

will let u know how we make out

richard
richard rotor head
richard

oil leaks

Postby richard » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 am

well finally got silicone gaskets for lifter tubes they went in fine with exception of one tube . it turned out the top gasket was being scored as it was being installed so a litttle smoothing of metal and all lifter tubes proved to be air tight.
next group of leaks was found around the intake manifolds. upon close examination 3 bolts where missing on the intake manifold as it bolts to cylinder(wonder engine ran smooth)
also found large amount of air passing out of carburetor(the carb had been removed from the engine) ? there is a tube to drain gas from carb and that same tube is attached to the intake manifold.?????
still have leaks but the pressure guage drops slowly getting closer!
richard rotor head
richard

oil everywhere

Postby richard » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:18 pm

the last leak was found on the lower case . the bolts were loose.

a tip to seal the tube coming from the intake manifold and terminating at the botom of the helicopter.. take rubber stopper a(like what u would see in test tube) and drill appropriate hole in rubber and than apply radiator clamp... infact that idea could be used on all the terminations
richard rotor head
richard

oil everywhere

Postby richard » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:13 am

well we started bolting the transmision and blades back on to the engine.
(that went well ) i had a thought why not place a tee on the return line from the transmission to engine( .that tee could be access for oil pressure check or for introducing air pressure for leak test) just a thought your comments please

will let u know how the engine and transmission and leaks work out

richard
richard rotor head
richard

oil every where

Postby richard » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:19 pm

wel al morrisson gave me a call this morning and said hey do u have that hiller flying no i said as i continued to watch good morning america.

hey i will meet u down at the airport (hanson ma) and so we met dn at cranland airpor and after a half hour of checking this and that the bird got pulled out to the snowy airfield (34 degrees) a shot of ether and she fired up. it sure felt good to get back at the controls she flew great

al and i went over and found a few leaks but minor compared to what it was and best of all no oil in the clutch area

we will check it closer tomorrow and i will let u know what minor leaks we find always have a hard time starting when it gets below 35

richard
richard rotor head
richard

Return to Maintenance