Oil Info

Everything about maintenance

Oil Info

Postby Rod Baker » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 pm

I was at a convention in Nov. and happened to listen to a talk from Castrol Oil company. Has any one used the new castrol oil standard weight not the mutli grade in the franklin? Currently I am using areo shell but dont like the rust that forms on my oil cap. According to the speaker they have upgraded theirs with current tech and added anti corrision and wear additives. Being that areoshell is a older product and Im not sure if they have improved it. The test slides looked good. Any comments?
Rod Baker

Oil Info

Postby ted.stokes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 am

Rod,

I would be concerned if Castrol tested the oil in transmissions with gear loading and jet spray lubrication. I would be very careful with the lubrication additives and their effect on the friction in the sprag assembly. We need the lubrication to stay on the surface of the rotating pieces until we come down after loss of an engine. I have my doubts that Castrol has considered any of those factors in the engine oil design specifications.

Ted
N6417V
A&P IA
ted.stokes

Postby rotorhead » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 am

Well here's something to consider reguarding Castrols new aviation oil. All APPROVED aviation oils must meet certain performance standards to get the FAA's blessing. In a nutshell that means they must all meet film/shear strength requirements, meet an antiquated anticorrosion standard and be compatible with eachother. Afterall, if your on a crosscountry trip and need 2 qts of Aeroshell 100 and all they have is Phillips 20W/50, the FAA says that they MUST be compatible so you can mix them. Most likely ALL aviation oils greatly exceed all of those requirements, afterall they are minimums.

In regards the the concern about use in our transmissions with the gears, etc. If Castrols new oil is approved for use in any radial engine or in geared engines like Lycoming GO-480's or Continental GTSIO-520's (which I suspect it is), I would say that it would be just fine in a Hiller. Being concerned about how long the oil sticks the the gears with loss of pressure (ie loss of engine)is really kind of a moot poind. They ALL will fling off in short order. Afterall, thats why under normal conditions you have them in a bath or spray and I don't think an oil whose spec was written 50+ years ago will stay on those parts any better than an oil which meets a more modern spec.

That all being said, to be technical, the ONLY approved oil for use in the Franklin powered Hillers is the oil specified in the lubrication order listed in the approved Hiller service manual. That being MIL-L-6082 SAE30 or SAE40 depending on temp. (ie Aeroshell 100). However I don't think you would get gigged by the FAA or have any problems if you used an approved oil that exceeded this rather old MILSPEC (ie Aeroshell 15/50, Phillips 20/50 or the new Castrol)

Just my 2 cents worth.
Geoff
rotorhead

Oil

Postby ted.stokes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:58 am

Rod,

Geared nose sections are not the same as your transmision when it comes to lubrication requirements. You can assume a small amount of a different brand of oil will work in a pinch but do a little research on the Mobil 1 aviation oil. Everyone thought it was equivalent until owners started to see increase sluge built up in Continental crankshafts. Most manufacurers do not reccommend mixing their oils in significant quantities and their rump is not in the seat with you. According to Hiller SB-120A the oil should comply with MIL-L-6082 and you can see if the Castoil complies with that standard.

When the engine quits, the lubrication to the main transmission stops. There are no sumps nor does any of the gears run submerged in oil. The primary lubrication flow is to the top main bearing jet and the LH center case jet from the engine oil pump. (that's one of the reasons you do not fly your bird high)

Just for thought, I work with the CH47 fleet and our transmissions can run dry for 30 minutes. They have been tested at that requirement and the lubricant is part of the design to meet the requirement.

Fly safe
Ted
N6417V
A&P IA
ted.stokes

Postby seneca2e » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:02 pm

"SAE30 or SAE40 depending on temp. (ie Aeroshell 100)."

Note Aeroshell 100 is SAE50. Aeroshell 80 would be SAE40.
seneca2e

Return to Maintenance