Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller?

Everything about maintenance

Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller?

Postby seneca2e » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:18 am

Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller? Anyone?
seneca2e

Postby Pandaz3 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:23 am

They both have Pros and Cons, but I'd give the nod to the Bell 47, a whole lot of varibles though, depending on what work you want or need to do.
ATP, CFI
Pandaz3

Postby seneca2e » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:19 pm

It just seems the access to the Hiller is a bit better. The 47 is sort of encased in the truss tubing and sits down in the helicopter more. Also you usually have hydraulics to deal with in the 47.
seneca2e

Postby Plumberpilot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:24 pm

I don't have any 47 experience but I can't see how a helicopter could be any easier to work on than a UH12, you can walk right up to everything except the fuel bladder without removing anything. I can't believe there's so little support for these helicopters given all the positives they have :!:
Plumberpilot

Re: Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller?

Postby CopterDr. » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm

seneca2e wrote:Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller? Anyone?
We operate both the 47 and the Hiller in the same fleet, albeit they are Soloy versions of both. All things being equal, the 47 has less time life limited parts to keep track of, but the Hilller is more of a brute, when it comes to tough jobs. The 47 could be likened to a Cadilac, and the Hiller to an old "cornbinder". Just keeps on going and going and going.
Once a Hiller is gone through say on a 1200 hr inspection, and everything is tightened up, it will fly really smooth for some time, until the rode end peraings and everythings starts to get sloppy again. If I had my wish it would be to have a 12E with a transmission like the 47 900 series tranny.
That would be a awesome machine to work and to work on. IMHO.
CopterDr.

Re: Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller?

Postby CopterDr. » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:58 pm

the 47 is a bit easier for most items, but for others the Hiller. I would say it is a toss up.
CopterDr. wrote:
seneca2e wrote:Which is easier to work on Bell 47 or Hiller? Anyone?
We operate both the 47 and the Hiller in the same fleet, albeit they are Soloy versions of both. All things being equal, the 47 has less time life limited parts to keep track of, but the Hilller is more of a brute, when it comes to tough jobs. The 47 could be likened to a Cadilac, and the Hiller to an old "cornbinder". Just keeps on going and going and going.
Once a Hiller is gone through say on a 1200 hr inspection, and everything is tightened up, it will fly really smooth for some time, until the rode end peraings and everythings starts to get sloppy again. If I had my wish it would be to have a 12E with a transmission like the 47 900 series tranny.
That would be a awesome machine to work and to work on. IMHO.
CopterDr.

Return to Maintenance