Question About Rudder Control to the left?

Everything about maintenance

Question About Rudder Control to the left?

Postby NRE » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 am

I recentley Started flying my Hiller again after being out of it for some time. I noticed when I was taxing up to the ramp with a very mild cross wind that I ran out of left peddal corection. After setting down I noticed that the right pedal had full moting (2-3" from neutral position)as I stepped on it. However from the neutral position my left pedal only moved approximately 1". I checked the stop bolts under the tail rotor gear box and noticed that the Right bolt hit the stop and the left still had an inch +/-inch before it stopped. I unhooked the cables to see if they were jambed and I still the same problem. I checked to make sure that the rudder pedals in the neutral position equalled the neutral position of the cable arm located beneath the geear box. And they were. As I move the cable arm from left to right the left movement comes to a sudden stop after a minimal movement to the left. My mechanic that just completed the annual only drained the gear box oil and replaced it with new. And from the old existing paint on the gear box nuts,bolts,pitch arms etc. I cant see and movement of any items. Has this left limitation always been there or am I dreaming? Any input of wisdom out there?
Thanks
NRE

Anti-torque

Postby ted.stokes » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:43 pm

NRE,

With your cables disconnected, you should be able to move the T/R bell crank on the gearbox from stop to stop. If not then, investigate why it is hanging up. Standing behind your ship with one tail blade pointing aft (horizontal), look at the chord line of the blade, with the bell crank in neutral, you should have zero angle attack, full left pedal should twist the blade to the right 15 degrees. You will only get 6 degrees with a right pedal and the blade pointing left.

Hope this helps.

Ted
N6417V
A&P IA
ted.stokes

Re: Question About Rudder Control to the left?

Postby mtnmotion » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:01 am

If you removed your pitch links for some reason then the chances are that one or both are reversed.
Otherwise......
mtnmotion

Return to Maintenance