Anybody else have any leads on Hillers(12b,c or ?) for sale?

Hiller's for sale

one more thought

Postby Rod Baker » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:58 pm

seems alot of us on here have the same feed back but one more word of advise. Hire your own person to do the pre buy and look through the paperwork. Dont trust the guy who is selling it or the person working on it. There are some good people out there who are selling helicopters and they wont mind if you bring your own AI. There are also people out there selling BELL helicopters who wont allow you to have your own guy do a pre buy and look the machine over, like a compression check......run as fast as you can in the other direction with your money in your pocket.
Rod Baker

Postby adam32 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:32 pm

This is the one I'm looking at:

http://www.aviationclassifieds.com/view ... ds_id=2705

I'm pretty sure that Carson did all the turbo conversions. I will also be bringing an A&P with me to look at it.

There is that one, a Bell 47D-1 (68hrs since 1200) and Fort Wolters will be getting a C model in this month that they are going to overhaul.

I will be using it for instruction, photos, and the occasional ride.

Adam
adam32

Postby Plumberpilot » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:29 am

Adam

Just an educated observation, the guy who's selling this Hiller said:

"I had no previous Hiller time and had not flown for 25 years. I flew this without a problem the the first flight"

That is an untruth. A Hiller is unlike anything you'll ever fly for the 1st little while, it takes massive control movements when compared to most other helicopters. After a few flights you won't notice the difference but to say you can just climb in and be right at home is simply not true. I'd wonder what else he's being untruthful about.

Just my 2 cents

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Plumberpilot » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:40 am

Adam

After reading what I've written in this thread, I feel I should say that I hate to be so negative and I wish you the very best in your search for a helicopter. I'm just trying to relate some of what I've learned along the way. There's lots of good reasons to own a helicopter, not the least of which is because you want one. :D

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby adam32 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:44 am

Plumberpilot,

Don't worry about it, I would rather be told the truth about something then be led on. I know this industry in full of "sharks" just wanting peoples money.

But, I just found out today that Silver States helicopters are getting auctioned off, so I might be able to pick up an R22 for a good deal. Even though they are not my first choice of helicopter.

Adam
adam32

Postby Scud runner » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:51 am

There is already a SB to move the generator up to keep it out of the oil.
I would think with a bit of engineering, 337, and an IA and A&P one could get a field approval assuming the local FSDO would comply.
It does not make sense to keep an old heavy generator and regulator (and not as reliable) in place when a one wire TSO'ed alternator would suffice.

Correctly stated, the Hiller is getting old, and most parts have been overhauled many times, and that in it's self is a problem.
The Hiller is not the only "old" aircraft out there that is suffering this problem.

Regardless of whom you choose to turn wrenches on your baby or who you buy it from, you will still run into questionable replacement parts. Somewhere in the mix you have to realize it is not a new aircraft and therefore can not be treated as such.

Myself also being an A&P realize that new/slightly used parts are hard to find but well worth the money in the long run. Sometimes you have to know when to toss what appears to be a good part but is out of limits just to keep it out of the system.

I am very careful about "bad mouthing" buisnesses or other A&P's when it comes to rebuilding older aircraft. Sometimes even new replacement parts aren't quite up to standards as well and I would look bad when it did not fix the problem and I had to locate another exact part to finally get the problem solved. (that statement had nothing to do with Hillers but rather older fixed wing aircraft). Yes, even in the world of commerical aviation, there are overhaul shops that are quite good at "Krylon overhauls" esp out of the Miami area. I say the Miami area as it is probably the only place that still overhauls older aircraft parts.

No matter where you locate your Hiller, its buyer beware. I think you will find pro's and con's from anyone that overhauls/rebuilds these 50's era helicopters. You do after all, get what you pay for. If you want to dump 300 grand into a "hobby" I am happy for you. Get something new or at least close to new if you can afford it. For the rest of us, its not as easy to throw that ammount of cash into the hobby and we have to keep an eye out to insure we are getting as quality machine as the money allows.

My 2 cents
Pay+PerDiem=Pride
Scud runner

Postby adam32 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Okay guys he lowered the price on the turbo C model, what should I do? Buy it or wait and see if I can get a decent R22 from the SSH liquidation?
adam32

Re: Anybody else have any leads on Hillers(12b,c or ?) for sale?

Postby Joesmoe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 am

I was wondering where the 12c turbo is for sale? I am also looking for a good Hiller. thank you
Joesmoe

Postby adam32 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:35 pm

It was in Idaho, I passed on it, and now it is in Texas. I know of another for sale if your interested...
adam32

Postby Joesmoe » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:13 am

Hey adam,
I am definitely interested, please let me know. thanks
Joesmoe

Postby rotorhead » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 am

Well, it is with sadness that I must sell my Hiller. Just don't have the time or $$ to keep the dream alive anymore. It is a 1953 OH-23B/C (UH-12B/C) TT about 4400, good times blades etc. Very recent top on the Franklin. It is not in annual and does need some more work, but really don't think it would take much to get her in the air. I have run it many times and had it in a hover many times, so its close. I really wouldn't sell it, but financial reasons require it. It also comes with a complete set of Hiller manuals and Franklin overhaul manuals and a trailer. Asking $45000 for it all. If you are interested drop me a line, I am in the process of getting all the numbers together and will post later with some more pics. (have more pics around, but gotta find them).
Attachments
N5776-006.jpg
N5776-006.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
rotorhead

Postby adam32 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 pm

There is a turbo C for sale on eBay right now, I've personally flown and inspected it and it is a pretty clean little ship.
adam32

Re: Anybody else have any leads on Hillers(12b,c or ?) for s

Postby FloridaHiller » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:55 pm

I have a 1953 UH-12B for sale on the controller. Let me know if you are interested. I know this is an old post but you never know.
FloridaHiller

Previous

Return to For Sale