Autos

Problems or things to know about flying the Hiller.

Postby Hillerbee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:14 pm

Carb ice can build very quickly, you won't even have time to sport it on the gauge. Because of the reduced airflow, ice can build up either on the butterfly and in the venturi. The temperature probe is located just behind the venturi so doesn't measure the butterfly and the most critical part of the carburator.

When you get it your engine quits and in a helicopter you can't start it again. In a fixed wing you've got better changes because the prop is connected directly to the crankshaft and keeps the engine turning.

The 12 C has a gauge as well, you use the gauge for inflight conditions. Almost every aircraft has a carb heat gauge.
Hillerbee

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:52 pm

One more question reguarding carb heat. If I apply full carb heat, it only takes seconds to over temp on the carb heat guage, I guess that's why I'm reluctant to apply full heat. Should I be concerned about overtemping the carb air? Do you apply the heat immediatly prior to reducing power?

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby administrator » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:26 pm

No, you first put carb heat on and then reduce power. If you have the possibility take it off at 150-200 ft. again. Because carb heat takes power away (15%)

You won't overheat the carburetor. Because of the heat the mixture gets richer.
administrator
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Training issues