High Skids

Problems or things to know about flying the Hiller.

High Skids

Postby tcamiga » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:37 pm

Not sure what the rest of the world uses - however a quick note to those who might transit to a 12E on high skids - beware the performance loss and also the loss of ground clearance when spraying under wires!

Does anyone have any comments on this one?

Tc
tcamiga

Postby Plumberpilot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm using High skids on the D and have from time to time thought about switching to low gear just for ease of entry, as I give helicopter rides. I've never flown another Hiller high or low skids so what would be the down side of going to low skids. I've never heard about the performance difference between the two either.

Thanks
Ricky
Plumberpilot

Postby Hillerbee » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:06 pm

With the low skids, the center of gravity wil be lower and so the danger of a dynamic rollover is much smaller. I use them because of that and the fact you mention getting in and out easier.

The flying in itself is about the same you only need a bit less power.
Hillerbee

skids

Postby tcamiga » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Ricky

Hillerbee is spot on with his reply.

Get hold of a peformance chart for the 12D with low skids to compare.

You will then see that you require about 1 inch less MAP to hover iGE on smooth ground and I think that is what you are searching for.

Beware that low skids also get the machine and TR closer to ground obstacles - about the same as a B47.

Another saying for getting performance - "keep the machine lean and mean and it will go like a greyhound - keep it full of junk and it will waddle along like an old dairy cow". In other words - don't take around any un-needed weight.
tcamiga

Postby Rod Baker » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:53 pm

I just saw your post, I have flown high gear on C-D and e models. It gives you more options on where you land if going to unimproved areas , I like the high gear better but requires more effort to get in, just a little. as for going under wires.....if the hight of the skids are that close you need not be going under the wire. haha.
Rod Baker

Postby Pandaz3 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:01 am

I have a couple of seasons spraying and I believe that high skids were a benefit in our operation. It got the filler at a easier to use height, and generally made it easier to work on the spray system or to clean the aircraft.

I don't think I want to fly under wires with tolerances as close as that.
ATP, CFI
Pandaz3

Return to Training issues