Running take offs

Problems or things to know about flying the Hiller.

Running take offs

Postby Plumberpilot » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Here's one to ponder. Does rotor speed have any effect on the time it takes to obtain translational lift? I know relative wind is the main factor when transitioning, but will a high green rotor speed obtain translational lift any sooner than a lower rotor speed? Seems to me it will, but I'm not sure. I fly a ship that's a little underpowered Hiller 12D (I think most people would like more power) and I'm looking for any technique to transition sooner if possible.

Ricky
Plumberpilot

Re: Running take offs

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Plumberpilot wrote:Here's one to ponder. Does rotor speed have any effect on the time it takes to obtain translational lift? I know relative wind is the main factor when transitioning, but will a high green rotor speed obtain translational lift any sooner than a lower rotor speed? Seems to me it will, but I'm not sure. I fly a ship that's a little underpowered Hiller 12D (I think most people would like more power) and I'm looking for any technique to transition sooner if possible.

Ricky

When you have low rotor rpm, you have to pull more pitch to get the same lift. This will induce drag. So if you keep high rotor rpm and so less pitch to produce the same lift, you'll have less drag and induced flow. This means you will get translational lift a bit sooner (very little however), the major factor will be because of the lower pitch setting you will accelerate easier, and so get your translational lift easier.

It's always good practice to keep your RPM middle or top of the green. You have to pull less pitch and use less power, so it's also more economical.

If you're heavy try to roll on to the top of the green (red line) and make it light on the skids first. So don't pull it straight of to a 3 feet hover. Go very gentle. Also make sure your straight into wind, you know left pedal takes away power from the main rotor.

Hillerbee

limited power to transition

Postby tcamiga » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:43 am

Hi Ricky

If you are able to hover at 3200 Rpm IGE - and if you have no ground obstructions under your rotor disc to the right - depart about 10 - 15 degrees nose yaw left to the direction you want to go and then immediatly feed in right pedal. Unloading the TR will flick you thru transition faster.

Tc
tcamiga

Re: Running take offs

Postby ron andress » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Looking into the purchas of a hill. Very good information on here anyone deal with united in florida?
ron andress

Return to Training issues